Becky enjoying some Texas sunshine with her studio assistants Paisley and Wren
I have always enjoyed the feel of a pencil in my hand, and the possibilities that await when you put that pencil to paper. Some of my fondest memories from childhood are of times spent drawing and sketching with my Gramma. I’m pretty sure she is the one I inherited my love of nature from as well. I had a handful of art lessons when I was a little girl, and I won a few awards in high school for some of my drawings. We didn’t have an art program at my school, so I am mostly self-taught, other than those few lessons, and a few online classes in recent years. After school, I didn’t draw much at all for years, and didn’t realize how much I had missed it until I picked up a graphite pencil about 12 years ago, and started drawing again. I didn’t know that colored pencil could be used as a fine art medium until a couple of years after that, when I stumbled upon an article about artist Mikel Donahue in a magazine. I was stunned by his realistic artwork depicting the cowboy way of life, and amazed that it had been created with colored pencil. I immediately rushed out and bought a full set of Prismacolors, and after a lot of trial and error, figured out a layering process that worked for me. I fell in love, and have been hooked on colored pencil ever since! I do occasionally go back to my first love of graphite, and I also absolutely love working with water-soluble colored pencils, especially Derwent Inktense. I have had several of my drawings published in magazines and books, as well as articles in the April 2019 and August 2020 issues of Color magazine. My goals going forward with my art are to continue to improve with every piece I draw, and to keep submitting to shows and publications, and galleries, and just keep putting myself and my art out there, and see how far I can go with it.
• August 2020 – COLOR Magazine – Tutorial Article – Elusive Radiance
• January 2020 – COLOR Magazine and Blog, The Pencil Box – Winter’s Prickly Gift
• June 2019 – COLOR Magazine Member Show 20 Year Anniversary Celebration Book – Caliente!!
• April 2019 – COLOR Magazine – Article about FAA/Pixels website
• April 2019 – Ann Kullberg’s CP Treasures VI – Reminisce
• October 2018 – Colored Pencil Magazine, Latest and Greatest Gallery – Caliente!!
• June 2017 – Ann Kullberg’s CP Hidden Treasures IV – White Noise
• June 2017 – CPSA’s To The Point Magazine Vol. 26, No. 2 – White Noise
• June 2016 – Ann Kullberg’s CP Hidden Treasures III – Wendy’s Cholla
• October 2019 – Colored Pencil Magazine’s Inktense Inktober Show – Colorful Harvest
• September 2019 – CPSA DC 224 3rd Annual Member Show – Caliente!! and Reminisce
• May 2019 – Ann Kullberg’s COLOR Magazine 20th Annual Member Show – Caliente!!
• April 2019 – CPCAU Drawn Together Exhibition – Caliente!!
• December 2018 – Colored Pencil Magazine’s Art Competition – Caliente!! and Reminisce
• Colored Pencil Society of America (CPSA) – Member Since 2016
• CPSA District Chapter 224 Dallas Fort Worth – Member Since 2016
• Colored Pencil Artists League – Member Since 2015
June 2017 – Interviewed by author Sara L Foust